Monday, March 10, 2014

Are you ready for a dog?

The first question anyone thinking of adding a canine member to the family should ask themselves; "Am i ready for a dog?"

A dog, specially a new puppy, is a big responsibility. I remember when my friend first brought me back me back home, all my family members would take turns taking an off from their jobs to take care of me.

I have a list of few questions which you guys might want to consider before getting a dog:

  • Is everyone in your family ready for a dog?
  • Does anyone in your family have allergies to dogs?
  • Who will be the primary caretaker of the dog?
  • Who will take care of the dog when you can't be there?
  • Have you estimated how much dog care and dog grooming will cost you annually? (This may vary geographically.)
  • Can you afford to train your dog?
  • Are you okay with damaged furniture and clothes till your dog is trained?
  • Can you take at least a week off from work for a new puppy?

puppies can cause damage at home
Answering these questions will tell you whether you are prepared to bring a dog home.. Your canine will also depend on you for its exercise, grooming and veterinary care. It is also important to understand your dog and treat it well. Let me give you an example to help you understand what I mean by understanding your dog. When I'm thirsty and there is no water in my bowl, I go stand near the tap in our yard and my family understands I'm thirsty. This understanding takes time to build, and you need to spend quality time with your new puppy.


After you have carefully considered all these questions and believe that you are prepared to take care of a dog, next thing to decide on is the kind of dog you'd like to bring home, whether it's a friendly medium sized dog like me or maybe a fiercely loyal large companion. I will discuss about dog adoption and buying a dog in my next post.

If you found this post to be boring, here's a happy dog for you!

dog with a little girl
Source: 9gag.com


Have a paws-itive day!

Woofing off for now!

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies."
-Gene Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment